Home / Latest News / Jussie Smollet case: Charges dropped against actor over attack incident

Jussie Smollet case: Charges dropped against actor over attack incident

All charges have been dropped against Jussie Smollett in the latest shocking development in the “Empire” actor’s case.

His lawyers confirmed that the criminal charges were dropped Tuesday in a statement saying Smollett’s “record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him.”

Smollett had been accused of filing a false police report that claimed he was the victim of a hate-filled attack in Chicago on Jan. 29.

“Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29,” reads the statement from lawyers Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes. “He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.”

Smollett had been arrested in February and indicted by a grand jury on 16 counts of disorderly conduct earlier this month.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office also released a statement after the charges were dropped.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the statement reads.

Smollett, 36, claimed to police in January that he was attacked by two people who hurled racial and homophobic slurs at him and placed a rope around his neck.

Following a three-week investigation into Smollett’s claims, Chicago Police arrested the actor and asserted he orchestrated the attack by paying two brothers to confront him because he was unhappy with his salary.

An official with the Chicago Police Department said Tuesday that all questions are being directed to the State’s Attorney’s office.

Smollett had maintained he’s telling the truth.

Following his arrest, Smollett’s character Jamal was removed from the final two episodes of the show’s ongoing fifth season.

On Tuesday, Fox said the network and the studio currently “have no comment.”

About admin

Check Also

Lampard praises in-form Pulisic after Chelsea outclass Watford

Frank Lampard was full of praise for Christian Pulisic after Chelsea cruised to a 3-0 …

Guardiola: Man City defeat not a question of needing new players

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola does not believe Sunday’s surprise Premier League loss to Southampton …

Maddison and Chilwell ‘big doubts’ to face Arsenal

James Maddison and Ben Chilwell are “big doubts” for Leicester City when they travel to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *