Interior Principal Secretary, Karanja Kibicho, says the government is mulling phased re-opening of the country with new measures set to be announced on Saturday.
Speaking during a phone interview with Radio Citizen, Kibicho said the government is between a rock and hard place especially since the cases are on the rise but noted high-level discussions are ongoing.
“We cannot lockdown forever, the government makes its money from taxes, currently people are not at work, personally I think we can re-open but under strict guidelines,” Kibicho said.
He, however, noted that while some restrictions may be lifted, the government will not be relaxing the requirements on facemasks and social distancing.
Therefore, companies planning to re-open will be required to strictly adhere to the guidelines on face masks and social distancing.
“Companies willing to re-open will need to ensure guidelines on facemasks and social distancing are adhered to because the new coronavirus is still here with us,” he added.
At the same time, he asked Kenyans not to expect sudden normalcy saying the re-opening of the economy is a very delicate balance requiring the participation of everyone.
The cessation of movement directive which affects several regions of the country among them Nairobi, Mombasa and Kwale will lapse on 6 June.
The daily dusk to dawn curfew which had been extended by a further 21 days will also be lapsing on 6 June.
With Kenyan coronavirus cases crossing the 2,000 mark earlier in the week, Kenyans will be waiting to see what will transpire on Saturday.